Why work with the CISI?
Our partnerships with education centres enable educators and industry to work together to disseminate knowledge and offer real world learning experiences to encourage and develop the next generation of financial services talent.
Our qualifications, approved for delivery at GCSE (level 2) and A level (level 3) can be seamlessly embedded into your curriculum and aim to develop students’ knowledge of the financial services industry and its functions and challenge them to think about implications for their own personal finance decisions.
Award in Fundamentals of Financial Services
Diploma in Finance, Risk & Investment
(A Level Equivalent)
Certificate for Introduction to Securities & Investment
(A/S Level Equivalent)
Recognition & employability
Our certificates are recognised by banks and organisations as the preferred professional qualifications for industry practitioners.
- Up to 120 UCAS points can be gained and our qualifications will be recognised on the DfE Performance Tables.
- Free CISI Student membership – students are associated with a chartered professional body and are able to take advantage of an extensive range of benefits.
- Work experience placements via our Investing in Futures scheme will enable your students to combine learning with on the job, real world experience.
- Annual prizes are available to the best performing student undertaking CISI qualifications at your school/college.
- Recognition for the overall highest achieving student(s) each year at our prestigious Annual Awards Ceremony, hosted by a representative of the Lord Mayor of the City of London.
Accessible & affordable
- Flexible teaching structure and the functionality to hold exam testing at your school/college.
- Free teacher training, the services of a peripatetic teacher and provision of teaching materials.
- Educational bursaries of up to £900 are available, as well as Government funding opportunities.
Connections & opportunities
- Our connections with financial services organisations, our 40,000 members and our branches in your local area can offer you added value and the opportunity to build partnerships, via practitioners to support classroom teaching, career presentations or mentoring.
- Links with over 40 UK universities which we’ve recognised as leading institutions in financial services education.
CISI Level 2 Award in Fundamentals of Financial Services
View the syllabus
To provide an understanding of financial services and an overview of key concepts and terminology relating to it.
Students will gain a broad insight into the fundamental components of the financial services industry. This would include looking at different types of banks, commonly used financial products, such as shares, bonds and insurance, as well as an introductory understanding of markets and how they work.
- Ethics and integrity in financial services
- Introduction – saving and borrowing
- Other areas of financial services
- 100 GLH
- Delivered over 1 year
- Online exam graded pass/fail
CISI Level 3 Certificate for Introduction to Securities & Investment
(A/S Level equivalent)
The Certificate is gained by achieving two units:
Introduction to Investment (Financial Products, Markets & Services)
Extended Project (Certificate)
It is a requirement of the Extended Project that all reference sources and their annotation in the project report should follow a consistent referencing format for texts, journals, website pages etc.
Candidates are free to choose their own system of referencing, however the following links to the Harvard referencing system may be useful for you.
University of Exeter: Referencing -The Harvard System
University of the West of England: UWE Harvard: Referencing guidance
Birmingham University: Harvard: reference list and bibliography
CISI Level 3 Diploma in Finance, Risk & Investment (DipFRI)
(A Level equivalent - may also be taken as part of the International Baccalaureate Career-related Programme)
To provide an understanding of the key characteristics, mechanisms and influences on financial markets and institutions. Students will gain an insight in to data analysis, investment appraisal and accounting and the role and responsibility of financial services in society.
The CISI Level 3 Diploma in Finance, Risk & Investment is an Applied General Qualification within the area of financial services (Accounting & Finance). It has been specifically designed to be taught in schools and colleges to equip learners with a broad range of transferable knowledge and skills gained through applied learning to enable progression into Higher Education or employment.
The qualification will give candidates an understanding of the key characteristics, mechanisms and influences on financial markets and institutions, and includes a grounding in data analysis, investment appraisal, accounting and the role and responsibility of financial services in society as a whole.
It supports progression to a range of finance and business related higher education courses when combined with other qualifications.
The Diploma is regulated by Ofqual as a level 3 qualification on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF)
Qualification structure for academic year 2016/17
The Diploma is gained by achieving four units:
** On successful completion of Units 1 and 2, a candidate will achieve the CISI Level 3 Certificate in Finance, Risk and Decision-Making.
Money, Economies & Uncertainty**
Investment Decision Making, Accounting & Governance**
Financial Products, Markets & Services
Extended Project (Diploma)
Information for candidates sitting during academic year 2015/16
International Baccalaureate Career-related Programme
We are delighted to be partnering with the International Baccalaureate (IB) on their Career-related Programme (CP), and have agreed a finance pathway for 16-19 year olds that is being piloted in a number of schools, as follows:
Three recommended units from the IB Diploma Programme:
IB DP Mathematics (SL)
IB DP IT in a Global Society (SL or HL)
IB DP humanities subject (SL or HL)
IB CP Core
CISI Diploma in Finance, Risk & Investment
The above combination of IB Diploma Programme (DP) courses enables students to demonstrate IT skills, communication skills and numeracy skills – all considered key by financial services employers – and provides a broad base to complement the specialist CISI unit in finance, risk and investment. However, this combination is not prescriptive.
Please contact email@example.com if you would like to offer the CISI Diploma in Finance, Risk & Investment as part of the IB CP.
“The package enables students to achieve a maximum of 200 revised UCAS points, while also gaining valuable personal and interpersonal skills, helping students to secure university places, apprenticeships or jobs in the finance industry.”
Dr Peter Fidczuk, UK Recognition and Development Manager, International Baccalaureate
Progression to higher education
The Diploma in Finance, Risk & Investment is recognised by higher education institutions as fulfilling entry requirements to a range of finance and business related higher education courses when combined with other qualifications, including:
Teaching Resources and Support for Student Learning
- Online teacher portal providing teaching materials and CISI updates
- We can facilitate sessions with our peripatetic teacher on more challenging areas of the syllabus
Financial services practitioner presentations
- We can contact CISI members in your local area to arrange for them to come in and talk to your students about working in the industry
- CISI textbook
- Financial Services Jargon Buster– a glossary of industry words and terminology
- Free access to member only areas of the CISI website, as well as free Student membership of the CISI, including member benefits
- Work Experience opportunities and Insight days through our 'Investing in Futures' initiative, which partners financial services firms with CISI schools/colleges
Get into Finance
- Get into Finance is a who, what, why and how introduction to financial services. The guide includes case studies as well as CV and interview advice.
Personal finance books
- #yourmoney provides a comprehensive introduction to the world of money for 16 to 25 year olds, meeting a pressing need to provide straightforward information on key financial facts for young adults as they take on responsibility for their personal finances.
A community partnership is developing the next generation of finance professionals in Liverpool
An initiative between the CISI, Archbishop Beck Catholic Sports College, Liverpool City Council and the Liverpool Learning Partnership is encouraging young people to aspire to careers in financial services.
Through a two year teaching post sponsored by the CISI, sixth form students at six local colleges are completing our Diploma in Finance, Risk & Investment qualification and the benefits of financial education are being shared to other schools linked to the Liverpool Learning Partnership.
The initiative is being backed by Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Reverend Justin Welby. He said: "The financial crisis not only hurt us economically, it also damaged trust throughout many areas of society. This damage may take a generation to repair, so it's wonderful that young people are being given the opportunity to learn about finance within a solid framework of ethics, integrity and social awareness.
Costs & Funding
The CISI is committed to making its courses accessible, we provide students in full-time education with a 50% discount. The breakdown of costs (including the discount) per student for the 2014/15 academic year is as follows:
Students benefit from one free exam resit for all modules.
|Level 2 Award in Fundamentals of Financial Services (for 16-19 year olds)
|Fundamentals of Financial
|Level 3 Diploma in Finance, Risk and Investment (A Level equivalent)
|Money, Economies and Uncertainty
|Investment Decision Making, Accounting and Governance
|Introduction to Investment
The qualifications are listed as eligible for funding as defined under Section 96 of the Department for Education's (DfE) Learning and Skills Act 2000. Search for these qualifications on the Learning Aim Reference Application:
- Award in Fundamentals of Financial Services - 60134847
- Award for Introduction to Investment - 50107823
- Certificate for Introduction to Securities & Investment - 50062670
- Certificate in Finance, Risk & decision Making - 60079782
- Diploma in Finance, Risk & Investment - 60078339
CISI Educational Bursary
The CISI's Educational Trust sponsors a bursary scheme for students aged 16-19 studying at schools or colleges undertaking CISI qualifications. An award can be made for a maximum of two pupils at each centre teaching CISI qualifications per academic year, a maximum of 30 weeks at £30 per week, per student, a total of £900.