The IOC is completed by successfully passing any three units from the following categories:
Unit selection depends on individual circumstances but generally candidates are either:
- Working for a firm which is regulated by the FCA. These candidates are advised to take the following units:
- Introduction to Securities & Investment
- UK Financial Regulation
- a technical unit relevant to the role
- Working for firms, particularly those based internationally, which are not authorised and regulated by the FCA. These candidates may, if their firm agrees, select any three units.
Ofqual This Certificate is regulated by Ofqual as a level 3 qualification. On the European Qualifications Framework, this equates to a level 4 qualification.
Candidates with appropriate examinations may apply for exemption from one unit, either: UK Financial Regulation
or Introduction to Securities and Investment
Exemption from the technical exam (stage 3) is not permitted.
The following are accepted for exemption from UK Financial Regulation.
|Chartered Insurance Institute (CII)
Financial Planning Certificate (FPC) – Unit 1 (FPC1)
Certificate in Financial Planning (CF) – Unit 1 (CF1)
Diploma in Regulated Financial Planning – Unit 1 (RO1)
|IFS School of Finance
- Certificate for Financial Advisers (CeFA) – Module 1 (CeFA1)
- Certificate in Mortgage Advice and Practice (CeMAP) – Unit 1 (CeMAP1)
- Investment Management Certificate (IMC) – either level 3 or level 4 (full IMC or Paper 1)
Exemption from Introduction to Securities and Investment - all the units above are accepted as are the following:
There are a number of other qualifications that are acceptable and appear in the FCA tables for operations roles. If you are in doubt, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org A very limited number of qualifications enable a candidate to gain exemption from two IOC units, relating solely to Pensions and Life Policy Administration. To Apply Download the IOC exemption form. Exemption from the IOC exams costs £50.
- MSc/MA awards with financial content (eg MSc Finance, MSc Investment Management) will be considered.
|Glasgow Caledonian University
| Study Options Self-study using the CISI's learning manuals and elearning products
- Candidates sitting CISI exams in the UK (includes Northern Ireland, Guernsey, Jersey and Isle of Man)
When you book for an exam either individually or through one of our Accredited Training Providers you will also be required to purchase the most up-to-date CISI workbook for that subject.
- Candidates sitting CISI exams outside of the UK
When you book for an exam, you will receive the most up-to-date CISI workbook in PDF format for that subject. The cost of the workbook is included in the cost of the exam you are taking.
These arrangements are in place to ensure that all candidates preparing for CISI exams have the same definitive study materials for their exam.
A range of sample exam questions
are also available. Training Courses
The CISI accredit a wide range of training providers to deliver formal training for our exams and you can register directly with the provider of your choice.
Register and Book Register with the CISI
New candidates intending to take CISI qualifications need to first register
with the CISI. Upon registering, you will receive a candidate number, password and access to the CISI's online systems. Book your exams
Candidates can book:
Register for your qualification
After booking your exams you need to register for your qualification
. Please be sure you have read and understood the exam regulations and policies
The latest prices for exams are listed on the online price list
Post Qualification Opportunities Membership
Obtaining the IOC qualification entitles candidates to join the Institute at Associate level
. As a member of the Institute, you will enjoy the recognition of being a professional in a world of increasing competition. The extensive continuing professional development (CPD) opportunities available through the CISI’s suite of membership benefits
ensures financial services practitioners can maintain competence and meet the requirements of firms and the regulator. Higher Level Qualifications
To further theoretical and practical knowledge upon completion of the IOC, higher level qualifications to take include:
- Advanced Certificate in Operation Risk
- Advanced Certificate in Global Securities Operations